COLDWATER SOLAR PROJECT PROFILE
Apex Clean Energy is developing Coldwater Solar, a 150 MW solar energy facility that is expected to generate enough homegrown Michigan clean energy to power up to 27,000 homes per year.
Situated in Coldwater and Ovid Townships in rural Branch County on remote private land with access to existing transmission lines, the location is highly suitable for a solar energy project. The project has received special use permits from both townships and is expected to begin construction in 2024 and commence operations by mid-2025
A Clean Economic Opportunity for Branch County
Coldwater Solar offers a new source of economic development for the community, with long-term local tax revenue for schools, government services, and public infrastructure. The power from Coldwater Solar will be delivered into Michigan’s electrical grid, helping diversify the state’s energy portfolio.
Solar power is one of the most cost-effective sources of electricity available today, and its ability to generate power at high-demand times helps reduce electricity costs for all consumers.
In addition to creating direct and indirect jobs during construction and operations, Coldwater Solar will create opportunities for companies seeking to open new locations in areas with access to renewable power to expand into Branch County.
Local Economic Benefits
• Enough power for about 27,000 U.S. homes (150 MW)
• Once built, Coldwater Solar will pay local, county, and school district personal property taxes each year, totaling millions of dollars over the 30-plus-year lifetime of the project
• Coldwater Solar will bring between 125 and 200 jobs to the area during the construction phase; 1 to 2 direct, long-term, local jobs for project operations; and additional work to local subcontractors for site maintenance
• Taxpayers and landowners are protected against decommissioning costs
• Helps local farmers diversify their income through easement payments that can be reinvested in their farms and communities
• Panel height and screening can help limit project visibility to neighbors and nearby roads